Perfect afternoon baking: grain-free chocolate chip cookies (super healthy!)

Its getting very chilly -- Fall is definitely here and in full swing. Since today was my rest day and was too cold for crazy walking adve...


Its getting very chilly -- Fall is definitely here and in full swing. Since today was my rest day and was too cold for crazy walking adventures, I decided to spend some time baking. Little did I know I would stumble onto the best gluten free chocolate chip cookies I've ever made!

You may have noticed that I bake cookies a lot, especially chocolate chip cookies. I started to think about why I do that so frequently since they actually aren't much of a childhood favorite for me. When I was a wee baker, I did bake chocolate chip cookies often...and often was nonplussed by the result. My Oma (grandma) was a fabulous baker so I used her recipe but it was never great-- way too sweet and almost undercooked. I ended up almost exclusively buying chocolate chip cookies out after that and developed a passion for the well made dense and buttery chocolate chip cookies I found in cafes. Sweet but not crazy sweet, salty, buttery, vanilla scented, dense and chewy. To me that's a perfect chocolate chip cookie! So, for the past year or so I became fascinated with the idea of creating a healthy variation that lived up to my cookie wish list.


Today's recipe is pretty damn good and pretty damn close to my favorite cafe-style sinful cookies. You would not believe how innocent these decadent tasting cookies are. Low in sugar, refined sugar free, high in protein, low in fat, grain free, gluten free, nut free, soy free, fructose free and vegan. Eat as many as you like whenever you like!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Favourite Grain Free Chocolate Chip Cookies
  • 2 cups cooked chickpeas (I use BioItalia brand because they are delicious)
  • 2/3-3/4 cup stone ground buckwheat flour
  • big pinch pink salt
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 3 tbsp maple syrup
  • liquid stevia (to taste)
  • 2 tbsp (or more if desired) virgin coconut oil
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/3 cup mini vegan chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350F. Line a baking pan with parchment paper.
Add the chickpeas to a food processor and blend well until crumbly. Add the buckwheat flour and blend until well combined. Add the oil, maple, baking soda and vanilla and blend until well combined. Taste the batter and add as much stevia as you think you need to achieve your desired sweetness. Blend in the stevia and taste again to ensure the dough is sweet enough. Once satisfied with the taste of your dough, add the chocolate chips and pulse to mix them through the dough evenly.
Using a teaspoon or a tablespoon, spoon blobs of the dough onto the parchment lined baking sheet, spacing them out evenly as you would for any cookie recipe. Shape the blobs into disks or flatten with the back of a fork for ridges. I sprinkled a tiny amount of pink salt over the whole batch for that salty sweet flavour profile.

Bake in the hot oven until semi firm to the touch. Enjoy warm or cold.


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Advertisement

SEND US AN EMAIL:

Contact Baking Backwards

Name

Email *

Message *

POPULAR POSTS ON BAKING BACKWARDS

Popular Posts

INSTAGRAM

© Danielle Dewar. Powered by Blogger.