Cosmic Blueberry Pancakes (vegan, gluten free)

I grew up eating lots of pancakes. LOTS. It was a Sunday tradition. My Dad makes (and always made) THE BEST pancakes. Fluffy, not too swe...


I grew up eating lots of pancakes. LOTS. It was a Sunday tradition. My Dad makes (and always made) THE BEST pancakes. Fluffy, not too sweet, not over or under cooked. Perfect for ripping up by hand to dunk in syrup or to slather in butter and maple. 



Although these Cosmic Blueberry Pancakes aren't the pancakes I grew up eating, they are pretty special. Though they don't look it, these pancakes are gluten free and vegan, which honestly for pancakes is a serious  challenge I have struggled with for years now. Up until this morning I'd all but given up on authentic-tasting vegan and gluten free pancakes without bad-for-you ingredients. My husband had too -- he has grown increasingly resistant to my healthy pancake attempts and almost never agrees to base his breakfast on them anymore. He's a pancake purist I guess, and all the healthy imposters I've come up with over the years have failed to fool him. In my many trials, the pancakes have tended to come out too dense, too crepe-like, too earthy flavoured, too undercooked inside or too overcooked outside. Poor guy. I had come to accept that most gluten free vegan pancake recipes result in a first batch of throw-aways (undercooked, overcooked), followed by a few successful edible pancakes. This recipe however has blown my mind a little. I managed to rope my husband in as a very wary taste-tester and we both ended up licking our plates clean -- woo -- they really are THAT good. Finally -- a light, fluffy, sweet but not too sweet pancake with no failed first flips. 


You might be wondering why I called these pancakes Cosmic Blueberry Pancakes. Though its hard to tell from these photos, these pancakes are swirled and speckled with a lovely deep blue hue -- the result of me trying to gently "pulse" in my wild blueberries into the batter in my blender. I pulsed too much, resulting in some of the blueberries blending in and dying the batter a gorgeous blue colour. When I gazed at the first successful pancake the batter produced I was struck by how much it reminded me of a galaxy. So even though most blueberry pancakes recipes go out of their way to avoid this kind of blue overload, I embraced it. Plus they came out totally delicious so why mess with a good thing?


Seasonal cooking is great but I decided to make these pancakes with frozen wild blueberries so that this recipe could be accessible for everyone year round. Plus when it comes to baking and desserts I generally prefer using frozen fruit. As if the blue hued batter wasn't enough blueberry to pack into these pancakes, I decided to top each of them with a handful of extra berries while they were frying so that the undersides of the pancakes were studded with juicy wild blueberries.

These pancakes are perfect for weekend brunch, a lazy Sunday morning or a dreary winter's day. To me they taste like a really good blueberry muffin in pancake form. They will definitely be a staple in this house and hopefully will find their way into yours too. 


COSMIC BLUEBERRY PANCAKES 
(vegan, gluten free)
  • 1/3 cup buckwheat flour
  • 1 cup white rice flour
  • 1 cup brown rice flour
  • 3 tbsp arrowroot starch
  • 1.25 tsp baking soda
  • 1.5 tsp baking powder
  • Pinch of salt
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 2 tsp maple syrup
  • 1.5 tsp acv
  • 1.5 cup non dairy milk
  • 2 level tbsp coconut oil
  • 1 tsp neutrally flavoured oil
  • Pinch of cinnamon

Blend all ingredients together well in blender.Scrape down the sides and blend again.

  • 1/2 cup plus extra frozen wild blueberries

Add in 1/2 cup frozen wild blueberries gently by pulsing the blender two or three times.


Heat some coconut oil in a pan over medium high heat. Once sizzling hot, fry your pancakes one at a time. I like to add a tablespoon of blueberries on top after pouring batter into the pan, before flipping the first time. Pancakes are ready to flip after bubbles form on top and edges are golden. Serve immediately with maple syrup or fruit compote.

If you give these pancakes a try, please share a picture on social media, I'd love to see it! #BakingBackwards

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Advertisement

SEND US AN EMAIL:

Contact Baking Backwards

Name

Email *

Message *

POPULAR POSTS ON BAKING BACKWARDS

Popular Posts

INSTAGRAM

© Danielle Dewar. Powered by Blogger.