Gluten-free grain-free vegan birthday cake!

Last Thursday was my birthday. I didn't celebrate for many reasons. The main reason being that I was, and still am, sick. My husband d...



Last Thursday was my birthday. I didn't celebrate for many reasons. The main reason being that I was, and still am, sick. My husband did the best he could to keep me smiling when he got home from work. Gave me lots of hugs and some rad bowls I'd been admiring at a local shop. He offered endlessly to take me out for dinner, buy me a cake (baking is not his thing), but I just wasn't, and am still not, up to it. It was a nice night in, watching movies and sneezing so much I think I drained all the water from my body...


By Friday I was still quite sick, worse in fact. I was also quite sick of being sick. It had already been more than a week of next to no appetite, sore throat, coughing and now endless sneezing. You may have noticed I haven't baked much for the blog lately. I just haven't been into it. But for whatever bizarre reason I decided to bake myself a cake that morning. Determined to acknowledge the occasion in some way.


Cake is not something I recommend sick people eat but I'm glad I made this cake. It not only cheered me up, it turned out to be the best damn gluten-free vegan cake I've ever made!



This cake features: 

  • two layers of dense chocolate cake
  • incredible texture and flavour
  • spongy
  • moist
  • rich
  • chocolatey
  • fudgy but not mushy
  • firm but springy texture
But there's way more to this cake than just good physical performance. It is actually pretty good for you! This cake offers the following health benefits:
  • vegan protein from quinoa and buckwheat
  • essential vitamins, minerals and amino acids
  • good monounsaturated fats
  • antioxidants
  • beta carotene from sweet potato
  • high fibre content
 This cake is also suitable for health-conscious people and those on special diets. It is:
  • reduced fat
  • reduced sugar
  • vegan
  • gluten free
  • grain free
  • nut free
  • allergy friendly
Did I mention that this cake is the best cake I've ever made?! Make this cake!


Healthy Chocolate Birthday Cake
  • 1/2 medium sweet potato, steamed till tender and pureed with a hand blender
  • Pinch pink salt
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/3 tiny can of low fat coconut milk
  • 1.5 cups water or coconut water
  • 2-4 tbsp evoo (the more you add the more moist the cake will be)
  • 4 tbsp raw cacao powder
  • 1 cup buckwheat flour
  • 1/2 cup quinoa flakes
  • 1.5 tbsp apple butter
  • 4-5 tbsp maple syrup 
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • Liquid stevia to taste
Preheat oven to 375F.

In a bowl with a flat bottom using a hand blender (or you can use a smoothie blender) puree all ingredients together until very smooth. Taste for sweetness and add as much liquid stevia as you need (blending in little by little) to achieve a sweet chocolate cake batter flavour. Add a little extra salt if the flavour seems flat. 

Grab a 9" round or square cake pan and line it with parchment paper so paper covers the bottom and sides. Pour batter into center of pan and spread to the edges with a spoon. Top with vegan chocolate chips if desired and bake in the center of the oven until risen slightly and a fork inserted in the middle comes out mostly clean. Remove from oven and allow to cool on stove top. Make frosting while cake cools.


New Age Chocolate Frosting (sounds weird, tastes great)
  • 2-3 tbsp cacao powder
  • 1 cup of new potatoes, peeled and chopped
  • Pinch pink salt
  • 3-4 tbsp maple syrup
  • 1-2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 tbsp evoo
  • 1-2 tsp vegan mayo
  • 2-4 tbsp light coconut milk
  • Stevia to taste
  • 2 tbsp chocolate or chocolate chips
Peel, chop and steam 1 cup of potatoes until very tender and mashable (use a creamy variety, not mealy). Puree with remaining ingredients (EXCEPT CHOCOLATE) until very smooth. Add stevia, little by little while blending until you achieve your desired sweetness. Transfer to a pot over medium low heat, add chocolate, whisking until melted. 

Cake Assembly

Slice cake down the middle and transfer half to a big plate. Trim both halves to have straight edges. Top with 1/3 of the frosting mixture, coating the top evenly with it using a butter knife. Place other half of cake carefully on top. Pour remaining frosting on top and spread to the edges gently with your knife letting some spill down the sides. Spread the drippings over the sides evenly to coat. Transfer the plate to a flat place in your freezer for 1 hour to set the frosting. Leave out for 10 minutes before serving or if serving later in the day or week, transfer to your refrigerator.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Advertisement

SEND US AN EMAIL:

Contact Baking Backwards

Name

Email *

Message *

POPULAR POSTS ON BAKING BACKWARDS

Popular Posts

INSTAGRAM

© Danielle Dewar. Powered by Blogger.