Date Caramel: A Healthy Dessert Sauce

Today's post will be short and sweet. Tomorrow's post will be epic! As some of you already know, tomorrow I am participating in a...

Today's post will be short and sweet. Tomorrow's post will be epic!

As some of you already know, tomorrow I am participating in a global blog share known as Virtual Vegan Potluck. For more info on this event visit this page

This amazing virtual event is a blog-linking phenomenon. There are over 160 blogs from around the globe participating on Saturday and I am humbled to say that Baking Backwards is among them. I am serving up three delicious and healthy desserts in tomorrow's post. Today's recipe is for Date Caramel Sauce -- a simple and easy dessert sauce. 



This caramel sauce is entirely sugar-free, gluten-free and vegan! 

This caramel is amazing on ice cream, cake, hot chocolate, fancy coffees and frappuccinos or on it's own with a spoon! I use small amounts of it in some of my baking recipes which I will share tomorrow as a brown sugar and maple syrup replacement. What an amazing swap it makes! I promise you that you won't regret using my version of date caramel in your recipes instead of sugar.

Those of you who have made date caramel sauce before may notice that my recipe is a bit different than most. 

It involves a few ingredients that may seem strange or unnecessary (like baking powder, chia seeds and baking soda). Please use these despite any doubt you may have! Trust me! They are included in my recipe for several reasons. Baking soda helps make purees extra smooth when they involve gritty ingredients such as dates. Baking powder has a touch of cornstarch which helps make the mixture a little thicker, and chia seeds are a wonderful healthy binder that really makes this caramel come together.

Most date caramel sauces keep for a very long time in the fridge. If you decide to make my version, I find that it starts to go off after a week.  

I think chia seeds in liquids start to sprout after that length of time so I would not recommend making this sauce and storing it for longer than one week in your fridge.

I hope you enjoy it!



Vegan Date Caramel Sauce
  • 1 cup loosely packed pitted Sayer dates (chilled in the fridge)
  • 1 1/4 cup water (warm or hot is best)
  • 2 dashes sea salt
  • 2.5-3 tsp of vanilla extract
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tbsp chia seeds

Pulse then blend all ingredients together in a food processor until very smooth (a few minutes). Scrape down sides and blend again for 30 seconds. Transfer to an airtight container and seal. Store container in the fridge until ready to use.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Advertisement

SEND US AN EMAIL:

Contact Baking Backwards

Name

Email *

Message *

POPULAR POSTS ON BAKING BACKWARDS

Popular Posts

INSTAGRAM

© Danielle Dewar. Powered by Blogger.