Rhapsody in Red

  After my fantastic green smoothie experience this past Wednesday night I decided to forge ahead with my plan to reincorporate more ...



 
After my fantastic green smoothie experience this past Wednesday night I decided to forge ahead with my plan to reincorporate more virtuous smoothies into my diet.

Though I often end up eating similar things for supper out of habit, when it comes to smoothies and baked goods I really like to change it up. Tonight's smoothie was very different than Wednesday's. My Purple Elixir smoothie was more thin and sweet than the smoothie I am referring to today as Red Rhapsody.

While the Purple Elixir was citrusy and fresh, the Red Rhapsody is rich and velvety. The texture is much closer to a sorbet than a juice. I find that frozen raspberries give smoothies great body and tang. I tried this smoothie without cocoa at first and it was boldly raspberry flavoured and fresh, but I was craving something with more depth of flavour, something more unique and rich. I love adding a cocoa accent to a smoothie. It provides warmth and a comforting flavor you can't quite pinpoint if you don't know it's there. It also adds a small kick that really picks me up.

I used raw beet in this smoothie for its natural sweetness, instant energy, and to tap into its potent blood cleaning and detoxifying capabilities. Beets are ridiculously good for you. Most people who consume them raw just juice them, but they also work well in a smoothie like this if you use a blender powerful enough to purée them. The beets and raspberries totally masked the smoothie's greens.

If you hate green smoothies, this one might change your mind.


I tested out this smoothie on my husband. He  doesn't enjoy mostly green smoothies, but he liked this one

For him, or someone like him, adding more fruit or a touch of stevia (if you are avoiding sugar) would be a good idea, or perhaps a teaspoon of vanilla extract to mask the beet flavor. If you are cleansing for Spring, give this smoothie a go, you might really enjoy it.

If you need an excuse to make this drink, here are just a few reasons why its a good idea:
  • it tastes lovely
  • it's full of vitamin C, vitamin K, vitamin A
  • it will help detoxify your liver
  • it's full of fiber
  • it's full of anti-inflammatory foods
  • it's rich in magnesium
  • it's full of antioxidants
  • it's full of copper, potassium, iron, manganese, and phosphorus
 If those reasons aren't leaving you searching for your blender, just look at how pretty this 'green smoothie' is!


Red Rhapsody


 
Makes 1 large smoothie or 2 small smoothies

  • 2 small leaves of purple kale, woody stem removed
  • 1 small leaf of green kale, woody stem removed
  • 1 small leaf of red Swiss chard
  • 1/4 red beet, peeled and sliced thinly or peeled and grated
  • 1/2 small red bartlett pear, chopped
  • 1.5 cups loosely packed frozen red raspberries
  • 1/2 cup filtered water or juice of choice or ice chips
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1.5 tsp 100% cocoa powder OR raw cacao powder
  • Tiny pinch coarse sea salt

Blend all ingredients together in a high speed blender or food processor until very smooth. Taste! If the smoothie is too thick add more water/juice/ice. If the smoothie is too bitter for your taste add 3 drops of liquid stevia or add 1/4 frozen banana and blend until smooth. Pour into a large glass or two small glasses and enjoy.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Advertisement

SEND US AN EMAIL:

Contact Baking Backwards

Name

Email *

Message *

POPULAR POSTS ON BAKING BACKWARDS

Popular Posts

INSTAGRAM

© Danielle Dewar. Powered by Blogger.