Energy Truffles

Black Bean Energy Truffles These fantastic little morsels were inspired by one of my favourite things -- black bean brownies. like so man...

Black Bean Energy Truffles

These fantastic little morsels were inspired by one of my favourite things -- black bean brownies. like so many people I have a very low tolerance for sugar these days. I am unfortunately a skilled baker with a sweet tooth, so over the past few years I have been scouring the Internet universe for alternative desserts of all kinds.

Last year one of my obsessions was perfecting the bean brownie. Perfection required tasting a lot of bean batter. My rule was that the batter always had to taste like real chocolate cake batter. I quickly realized, this thick chocolate batter could, and should, be transformed into truffles.

I have since done some research to see if this had been attempted. Sure enough, it had. But the recipes I found involved far too much sugar or stevia for my taste. I rarely want a sugary treat these days, I instead opt for a sweet nutritional powerhouse whenever possible. These truffles fit the bill. Full of protein and potassium, these little gems make a fantastic post workout bite. They are easy to prepare and you can even store them in your freezer.

Recipe

1 large can organic black beans
1 tbsp organic vanilla extract
2 frozen bananas
2 tbsp organic maple syrup
1/4 cup 100% cocoa powder
1 dash fine sea salt
Splash of espresso or coffee (optional)
2 tbsp vanilla rice milk (I like Natura)

Coating

1/4 cup 100% cocoa powder
2 tbsp maca powder

Blend all ingredients except for casting ingredients in a food processor until smooth. Using a small cookie scoop, scoop small balls of the mixture and drop onto a non-stick baking sheet. Cover lightly with cling film and chill in the freezer for 20 minutes.

Combine coating ingredients in a large bowl. Once balls are firm to the touch, roll to coat each in the dry coating mixture. Chill balls in fridge or freezer until ready to serve.






You Might Also Like

0 comments

Advertisement

SEND US AN EMAIL:

Contact Baking Backwards

Name

Email *

Message *

POPULAR POSTS ON BAKING BACKWARDS

Popular Posts

INSTAGRAM

© Danielle Dewar. Powered by Blogger.